E-commerce has drastically transformed the way business functions.
With cutting-edge technology on the rise, digitally native brands are looking forward to taking their business to the next level. The world is shifting to a different space where brands have started enabling commerce using live streams or online space
What does an e-commerce manager do?
They’re the ones who spearhead every strategy that takes place online. They can also be called as a business strategy expert, reason being, they hold the accountability of organizing and developing website marketing plans.
Once the plan is ready, they make sure the strategy gets executed as planned.
You need to follow the three basic steps.
- Plan the strategy: The best process to plan a strategy is by doing deep research about the company and its products. Once you’re thorough with the research, you need to narrow down the key objective of the company and develop online strategies you believe can help achieve them. Remember, the only way you can stay ahead in the business is by keeping a keen check on the marketplace and staying updated with the latest e-commerce trends.
- Execute: Once you have your plan in place, you need to work with the company’s developers to make necessary changes to the website. E-commerce managers are also responsible to ensure every transaction that takes place online adheres to the government rules and regulations. As the strategy gets executed, they’re responsible to take note of the performances and make any last-minute changes based on the market research.
- Training and oversight: Most of the e-commerce managers are either busy recruiting or training a new executive. They take responsibility for supervising the executives. once they’re done with training, they’re given their job allocations by the managers. They take charge of overseeing vendor relationships that looks relevant to their business.
The e-commerce market is huge. As a business strategy expert, these e-commerce marketing managers do the complete research of the product, requirement, and other significant details needed before presenting these strategies and the company’s objective for the specific company product.
Education and skills required to become an e-commerce manager:
The individual should be from the marketing and e-commerce field. In-depth knowledge about computer applications is a must-have. Based on a few job descriptions of an e-commerce manager, the individual must at least have a bachelor’s degree in the field of marketing or information technology. Also, individuals having a bachelor’s degree in marketing or business field might need to take up an additional course or certification in computer science.
A bachelor’s degree is the minimum qualification needed to apply for an e-commerce marketing manager position. However, employers these days prefer candidates having upgraded skills. Now, these skills could either be achieved by taking up courses from credible and best business certifications available online or a master’s degree.
The other skills include:
- Hold expertise in different marketing strategies
- In-depth knowledge about SEO and SEM
- Email marketing
- Marketing automation
- Conversation rate optimization (CRO)
- Proficient in written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent skills in recruitment and training
- Leadership skill is a must-have
- Working knowledge about affiliate marketing
The average salary of an e-commerce marketing manager starts within the range of USD 61,000 and can go up to USD 112,000 per year. However, the average salary could be around USD 84,000 depending upon the skill and eligibility of the individual.
Most of the e-commerce marketing managers are expert professionals in the field of business. They are project-driven and know how to develop different strategies to drive organizational success.